Monday, January 3, 2011

Honest Mamas Say, "it doesn't get easier!"

Good news!  Selah returned to sleeping through the night last night :-).  She started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks, and then about 3 weeks ago (for all sorts of good reasons--teething, mommy and daddy got sick, she was congested, we were on the road throwing her off her routine, she went through de-swaddling, and her body started being able to do all sorts of movement that was just fun and exciting) STOPPED.  This certainly contributed to me feeling like I was going to lose my mind.

But that's not the topic.  The topic I want to quickly cover is some real, honest answers I've received from some mamas--it doesn't get any easier :-).  In some ways, this is encouraging.  When people tell you, "oh, it gets easier when they're 3 months....6 months...1 year..." you start to think YOU'RE crazy when your child hits those milestones and stuff still feels, well, hard.

Here are a few things I've heard from some mamas in the past 24 hours...all confirming that it doesn't get easier.  So if you feel like it should be getting easier and it's not, DON'T FRET!
FELICIA, my cousin (who is the mother of 3 kids--2 boys and a beautiful girl--the boys are school aged and baby girl is an infant/toddler).  Felicia has done it all (full-time job, stay-at-home job, part-time job now).  "I would like to tell you it gets easier…but it doesn’t. The amazing thing is, just when you think you can’t take anymore…that you can’t stay up and give one more bottle, or you just can’t clean another mess off the floor…you receive an inner strength that keeps you going."
My friend (who I call YOODACRIS) emailed me a very funny email last night.  She's out in the Bay Area, mom to a 3-year old daughter, and she also has her own business (life coaching).   We had this funny exchange.
YOODACRIS:  "The first year is truly the hardest. First they tell you the first five weeks, then they say the first three or four months.. Then it seems like a cruel joke as people extend it to the first year, first few years... "
ME (SHANI):   "So when does it really get easier?"
YOODACRIS:  "I hesitate to answer your question about when. I can see why people lie about it.. No one wants to demoralize a new mom. For now I'll say One year, then at Selahs birthday I'll revise ;))"
KENYA, a friend of my sister's, shared this.  "Ironic that you posted this as I JUST asked myself this question tonight and probably at the same time as I was doing my middle daughter's (of 3 daughters and the most and longest hair of the daughters) hair.  And, I thought there needs to be a sound board giving tips to moms that just keep going and pushing through all of it (work, cooking, cleaning,, wife-ing etc...).  So thank you for your thoughts.  (my girls are 8, 6 and 4) Somehow, a routine and rhythm develops and next thing you know, being a working mom just rolls off your tongue.  Enjoy all that mommy-hood brings!!! :)"  HAIR!?!??!!  I hadn't even THOUGHT about hair1?!?! :-)  If any of you know my hair, you know I should be VERY VERY worried about having to do my daughter's hair.

And finally some encouragement from my more experienced cousin down in Houston, CHERRY.  She shares, "Well because my baby is 22 I can't remember how I did it, but I had 3 and we all survived. Anyway Ladies stay prayerful and open with children..."

That's right.  We'll survive.  And I'm assuming our children will turn out just great (or at least great enough ;-)) as well.

OH!  And if you disagree and think it does get easier, comment back.  My guess is once it starts to feel doable, we go and have more kids...so maybe that's why it doesn't get easier?  Or maybe folks just find a groove that works right for them?  Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment